Monday, August 27, 2012

The Prequel - Ergun Caner - Does Emir Know?



September 11, 2001, our nation was attacked by Al Qaeda. Thousands dead and our nation in mourning, a preacher was sought after by many to explain what happen. Trusted and chosen, Dr. Ergun Caner was selected to speak at Preston Wood Baptist Church late 2001, shortly after 9/11. How did Ergun use his trusted privileged position? He worked his tail off to lie his tail off.

They trusted him

I want to spend about fifteen minutes explaining to you why they did what they did and perhaps answering some of your questions as to what may happen next.

He lied to them


I was born in Sweden, raised in Turkey, came to America in 1978.

We trusted him


I mean I never had been in a church. I never truly been around many Christians. There’s not that many of them in Turkey or in Sweden. Coming to America, I’d lived under the misconception that you hated me as a Muslim.

He lied to us


On Thursday night, I tackled that preacher. Man, I grabbed a hold of him. I grabbed a hold of him and said I want this Jesus. I want saved. That night we went to a thing called afterglow. That is where all the youth go to Denny’s or IHop or Waffle House and hang out. My first act as a new believer in Jesus Christ was I got the biggest piece of ham they had. I never had it. Now, I’m a ham eating man baby. As a matter of fact the greatest ham of all time, I am addicted to. I’ll even tell you the secret, but you can’t buy it. It’s called spam.

On Friday night, after I’d been to revival four days, after I’d gotten saved, after Jesus had forgiven me of my sin and released me from fear of the scales, when Jesus did for me what I could not do for myself I figured everyone in the mosque wanted to hear about this too. That was not the case. That night, November 4, 1982 my father faced Mecca, as was his custom and began his prayer time and my father disowned me, my hero, my father.

A year later still young in Christ, still with very bad English, I came forward in my little country church that loved me and I surrendered to preach and came forward and said God is telling me to preach. And I don’t know how they do it here at Prestonworld but in our church which was very mixed, very mixed bless God, my pastor stood up there and I came down the aisle and surrendered to the Gospel ministry and he said "Well bless God, he’ll be preaching his first sermon tonight." You guys ever heard a first sermon? I went up there with about that many notes, about 4 hours of preparation and lasted seven minutes. You know. I was like, "Jesus - uh - Devil - uh - lets sing 842 verses of 'Just as I am.'" But you see, at the invitation, both of my younger brothers stepped out. Both my younger brothers got saved.

My youngest brother is also in the fulltime gospel ministry. He teaches at Southeastern Seminary. My middle brother is a Christian father and lay deacon in his church.

Is it over?

Transcript to Preview

The Following Preview Has Been Approved For All Audiences 
By the Moses Model Amateur Youtube Association.

Coming Summer 2007 to a Hawaiian church,

I am just not a beach person.

What are the Odds?

I was born in Istanbul, Turkey. I am a Sand Monkey. Been called worse. I came to America after going to Beirut and then Cairo. And when I came to America in 1978 at the age of 14 years old, I lived a very urban life.

Just when you thought they were just misstatements

What are the Odds?

One kid who for four years hunted me down. He started when we were Freshmen in High School in Gahanna Lincoln High School in Gahanna, Ohio. He did not stop until I was a Senior going into my Senior year.

Same Lies

Until I was 18 years old, I hated you.

November 4, 1982

[Indiscernible] It was November 4, 1982.

Best since Prestonwood!

A year later I was called to preach.

A Seven Minute Sermon

It was a seven minute sermon. It was the night that both my brother got saved. Now listen…

Summer of 2007

Does Emir Know?

Same False Stories Six Years Later

Sources

“From Jihad to Jesus” 4/26/2010 Focus on the Family broadcast from a 2001 sermon at Prestonwood Baptist Church http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/From+Jihad+To+Jesus/g2QVv?src=5

General Session #2 - Dr. Ergun Caner -- June 1, 2007 http://evangelism.fbcpearlcity.com/resources.html

Music

"The Deadly Year", "The Great Unknown", and "Turkish Dance" from AudioNautix.com

"The Bottom" by Josh Woodward from joshwoodward.com

Contact me at mosesmodel@yahoo.com and www.twitter.com/mosesmodel and http://www.tumblr.com/blog/mosesmodel 

Cited Links

Tim Lee's statements
http://fbcjaxwatchdog.blogspot.com/2011/05/after-11-months-liberty-university.html

September 25, 2010 article where Ergun says he did not lie.
http://www2.newsadvance.com/news/2010/sep/25/caner-defends-background-bristol-speech-ar-524525/

The unedited Marine videos on Viddler
http://www.viddler.com/explore/jsin/videos/2/
http://www.viddler.com/explore/jsin/videos/1/

Unedited Marine Videos on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxmIMR1LNos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpDm3Z9tI-M

Ergun Caner's Apology
http://sbctoday.com/2010/02/25/statement-from-dr-ergun-caner/

Norman Geisler's statements
http://www.normangeisler.net/articles/ErgunCaner/

PS ~ I listened to the Focus on the Family episode a year ago, but I did not digitize my hand written notes.  Thank you to all the bloggers who blogged about this episode when it originally came out.  You reminded me about the connections to this video series.  Also a special thank you to Majestatic whose blog was pretty much the exact same thing that I am trying to do in my video series.  I am constantly struck by how helpful the frontline podcasters and bloggers have been to me.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment